Expansion of Employment Taxes Team at PSTAX
Our Employment Taxes (‘ET’) team provides support and advice on a wide range of issues, including PAYE/National Insurance Contributions (NIC) matters, Optional Remuneration Arrangements (including salary sacrifice), expenses & benefits, termination payments, employment status and Off-Payroll Working issues and the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). Many of these areas have been subject to significant legislative changes recently and we have led the way in assisting our clients in navigating through these challenging developments. The team works exclusively for local authority, police, fire, NHS and other public sector bodies, so has a deep understanding of the culture of these organisations and the issues they face.
The team currently comprises five Employment Taxes specialists with many years’ experience working in ‘Big 4’ accountancy firms and the Inland Revenue/HMRC. They have developed a close working relationship with HMRC’s Public Bodies Group and are very well placed to assist with the often-complex compliance requirements faced by the sector.
In addition to providing advice and support in respect of Employment Taxes compliance issues, the team also works with a large number of authorities in implementing cost-effective and tax-efficient arrangements using salary sacrifice including the Shared Cost Additional Voluntary Contributions scheme, branded ‘AVC Wise’.
We are keen to find one or two new members for our ET team to meet the demand from our growing client base.
You will join the PSTAX ET team which specialises in providing employment taxes advice to our public sector client base and their trading subsidiaries.
The team are highly experienced in their field of expertise and incredibly responsive to the ever-changing environment of our industry. This is an opportunity to learn from our thought-leadership, technical knowledge base and commercial ethos and play a vital role in the successful development of our expanding products and services. In addition, we will provide every opportunity for personal development as you progress your career with PSTAX.
You will also work closely with the Indirect taxes and support teams to ensure that all our clients receive outstanding full taxes support, which is the underpinning value of the PSTAX family.
You will work with all of PSTAX clients across local, police, fire and NHS bodies along with their trading subsidiaries, building strong long term relationships, supporting them with taxation advice, and keeping them tax compliant as they make business changes internally.
Your key responsibilities
- To provide consultancy advice and support to existing and new clients
- To actively promote our services and company to any potential clients
- To provide training courses to our clients both ‘in-house’, externally and via mobile technology which includes all course material preparation.
PSTAX Forums, Seminars and Webinars
- To run pre-designated Employment Taxes Forums, Seminars and Webinars
- To prepare any supporting documentation for each forum/seminar/webinar as required
- To assist in the preparation of the agenda and minutes for each round of forums
Employment Taxes Helpline
- To take responsibility for the Helpline Service, which includes answering the Helpline telephone during its opening hours of 09:00 to 17:30 Monday to Friday and managing the Helpline email (with support from a technical resource within the ET team)
- Any other duties as and when directed.
Skills and attributes for success
- A logical thinker with the ability to break down and explain complex issues to a non-technical audience
- Comfortable with working with defined processes, prioritising tasks and working to strict deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- Comfortable with using and inquisitive about the use of new technology to deliver services
To qualify for the role, you must have
- A willingness to learn and develop
- Some previous experience in an HR, Payroll or Employment taxes environment
- Some experience of working with spreadsheets and internal computer systems
Ideally, you will also have
- Some knowledge of HMRC employment taxes legislation
What we look for
The right ‘fit’ and ‘personality’ are more important than ET qualifications or experience, at least to start with.
What working at PSTAX offers
We offer competitive remuneration and an annual bonus scheme based on company targets in the previous financial year (subject to being employed for the full financial year).
In addition, we offer:
- A company pension scheme
- Laptop and mobile phone
- Access to a company vehicle (subject to identified business need)
- Support, coaching and feedback from specialists in public sector tax
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- Flexible working patterns to ensure work/life balance
PSTAX is a unique consultancy in that it specialises in the provision of VAT and tax advice and support specifically to local authorities and their associated companies, police, fire, NHS and other public bodies.
The consultancy, which was formed in 2003, is run by Directors, Peter Gladdish and Duncan Groves, Head of Indirect Taxes, Nick Burrows and Director of Resources, June Wright. It consists of a team of technical taxation consultants with a combined 250+ years’ experience in the specialised field of public sector taxation.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality all-taxes advice to our clients and instrumental to this are our people. Our business is built on hard work, excellent customer service and a strong ethos of team. Which is why the right ‘fit’ and ‘personality’ are so important to us.
If you are ready for your next challenge please send your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 July 2020.